Sunday, January 22, 2012

Something Sacred For You, Is Sacred For Me.


     I heard a new song on "Soft Sunday Sounds" today. It was the first time they had ever played it, and 
I. Loved. It.
     I decided to write a post based all around that one song, but to my dismay.... it is a pretty new song... I could find no videos on youtube, no mp3s to embed... I couldn't even find lyrics on the internet...
Long story short... I can't actually make that song part of my post.

I did however, find it on iTunes... So I bought it, listened to it ten million times, and wrote down the lyrics. It's not as good as the song, but it's as good as it is going to get...

----------------


Some kids grow up around bibles.
Some grow up with the Quar'an.
Some light candles, and some wear a star, 
But I think we all understand...
We all want to make it to heaven.
And I've got this feeling in me
That we've all got a bit a shot to get there 
If we all act reverently.

Cause something sacred is always sacred, 
Even if it's not sacred for me.
I've got to let you believe what you want to, 
Or I give up that right I can see.
And all I care for and all that's close to my heart, and make me agree...
That something sacred to you, 
Is sacred to me.

I think you know what I'm saying. 
I'm sure you've heard it before.
We can all live in this place if we must stay inside... 
Lock up our doors.
Whether your goal is Nirvana,
Or whether it's someplace above...
In all of the good books we all read, 
We learn that the best way to live is with love.


Cause something sacred is always sacred, 
Even if it's not sacred for me.
I've got to let you believe what you want to, 
Or I give up that right I can see.
And all I care for and all that's close to my heart, and make me agree...
That something sacred to you, 
Is sacred to me.

So I, I'm going to celebrate you.
And I'm going to love how we're different.
Cause you, you've got your own point of view.
And I'm free to have mine.

So... something sacred is always sacred,
Even if it's not sacred for me.
I've got to let you believe what you want to, 
Or I give up that right I can see.
All I care for and all that's close to my heart, and make me agree...
That something sacred to you, 
Is sacred to me.


Something sacred to you... is sacred to me.

Ooooh...

Some kids grow up around bibles.
Some grow up with the Qur'an...

"Something Sacred"
Aaron Edson

-----------------------

      This is pretty different from the messages that I usually share, but I think that this song teaches a FANTASTIC lesson...

     A couple weeks ago, one of my YW leaders taught me a very valuable lesson. She said that if everyone had some sort of religion, worshipped some sort of god, or had a set of morals... the world would be a better place. No matter if that religion is yours or not.

     Of course we know that we have God's full and complete gospel on this earth... that doesn't mean that people of other religions don't believe and practice good things.

     If you have a friend of some other religion, and they just aren't ready to accept a new way of thinking, don't feel like they are in terrible shape or aren't going to heaven. If they worship and love God, they are in better shape than most of the world. Maybe they will accept the gospel at a later date, or maybe they won't accept it until they get to heaven. Either way, give them some credit for the efforts that they are making to live their life in a way that would be pleasing to Him.

     That wasn't a super long thought, but I think that it is important for us all to realize that.

I will keep my eyes out for that song! I will keep checking for videos/mp3s!!! 

Remember, it is on iTunes, so even if you don't want to buy it, you can listen to about 1 1/2 minutes of it as a sample on there...


6 comments:

Nonnie said...

Haley, thank you so much for posting this! (I love this song as well, and listened to it over and over at work.) Yes, sharing our own religion with others is a beautiful thing. But what's even more beautiful is allowing others to share with us, and listening as intently as we would want them to listen to us. Our own testimonies will grow because we will be reminded, with even greater reality, that we are ALL children of God. That every human being's desire is to do good, and that THAT is the connecting thread that connects all human beings together. Thank you!

Haley Barton said...

Wow, thanks so much for that comment! I don't get comments very often from people I don't know! That totally made my day! Thanks for your insight - I wish that everyone could understand this simple truth, because it would make the world a much happier place. Thanks so much for brightening my day!

Nonnie said...

You're welcome, Haley! I will start trying to read more posts from you because they seem so inspirational.

Unknown said...

We just listened to this is Relief Society and I was searching for the lyrics to follow along. Thanks for taking the time to write them here. This is a wonderful song and teaches truth and I loved your thoughts.

Haley Barton said...

Thanks so much for that note, Alice! It brightens my day when I get comments. Have a great Sabbath!

Unknown said...

Thank you! Love this song!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...