Tuesday, October 2, 2012

general conference is for YOU!



I'll tell you... it sounded really hard to me the first time I was challenged in seminary to take notes for all four sessions of general conference...

But I did it and you know what?

I am so passionate about it now that I took notes last conference too... and I wasn't even assigned to.


Really and truly though... in the past, every time I'd watched general conference, it kinda seemed like they were all talking about the same things and all of the talks sorta... blurred together.

But I am still hearing different random quotes and things that either I will recognize from a recent talk, or things that will instantly remind me of a specific talk.

And I seriously remember so many talks and what they were about and who was the speaker.

And I love that. Because before I took notes, I seriously would forget what I heard pretty soon after conference ended.

But not anymore.


General conference talks are scripture. Just like reading Matthew or Mark or the book of Jacob.

If you got the chance to go hear the Savior speak to you from the pulpit, you wouldn't miss it for anything. (At least I'm hoping so!)
You would be there listening and you would do whatever He counseled you to do.

And I'm pretty sure you would remember it for the rest of your life.


Well...

The Lord speaks today. He speaks through the prophets. Revelation and communication with the Divine exists today... just as it did in times of old.

Don't miss the opportunity to hear direct counsel that comes literally straight from the Savior.


I can't even tell you how much it will bless your life if you take notes and don't just brush off conference when it ends.


You will feel the Spirit so much during conference, and it will give you a spiritual high. And spiritual highs are always good.

Oh and one more thing.

Something neat about the talks you will hear are that they are written for us now. In 2012. They aren't words from thousands of years ago. The scriptures written then apply to us now too, but you know, they just aren't as specific to our time.

Read this quote from last October...

"I know our greatest happiness comes as we tune in to the Lord and to those things which bring a lasting reward, rather than mindlessly tuning in to countless hours of status updates, Internet farming, and catapulting angry birds at concrete walls. I urge each of us to take those things which rob us of precious time and determine to be their master, rather than allowing them through their addictive nature to be the master of us."
- Ian S. Ardern

Isn't that awesome? He referenced Angry Birds in his talk. 

(And how did that particular example just pop into my head? Notes! You remember things when you write them down!)

Anyways just a thought. The prophets know today's world. At our last stake conference, one of the members of the presiding bishopric came and spoke to us. And he read scriptures off of his iPad.

Don't just brush off the words these amazing people say.

They apply to you now!


This post ended up way longer than it was going to be. I was seriously going to just share the video and  suggest taking notes.

Hehe.

Have a lovely day and conference weekend!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...