Wednesday, October 9, 2013

overcoming



All the world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming.
- Helen Keller

Is life hard sometimes, or what?! Have you ever heard stories of those people who seem to just have the worst life ever? Maybe you are that person - that person who has simply come across a lot of heartache. 

Life's pretty much tough by definition. But your life story should not be one of sadness! You have such an incredible future ahead of you! 

I recently read Anthem by Ayn Rand. Basically it is one of those futuristic dystopia type books where the government controls everything and people are not allowed to think for themselves. *Spoiler alert: In the end, the main character recognizes society's flaw and runs away into the forest to live a life of his own... alone. 
Yeah. The end. 
So I was asked the question today in English, "why is this a story of hope and liberation instead of one of despair?"

Well, let me tell you. A blank slate - a future that is yours for the taking - is such a beautiful thing. Whatever is behind you, whatever you have learned, can only help you from here on out. 
You could start a brand new life tomorrow, you know! Wake up and decide "today I am going to be someone important." 


Our God is a God of second chances. He offers peace. He offers a new perspective. 

You can make your life a beautiful one of service, love, and happiness. You have a blank canvas in front of you, it is up to you what colors to paint it with. 
Be optimistic. Life comes with trials, bumps in the road. But life keeps moving forward, and if you do your best to move along with it, you will see amazing things you could never see before. 

Thomas S. Monson said that often "We are inclined to view our own personal misfortunes through the distorted prism of pessimism. We feel abandoned, heartbroken, alone.”
Having a negative attitude always makes things seem worse than they really are. When we have hope and look for bright days ahead, even the days we are living now will feel more glorious. 

I've been so so blessed with school this year. I have always been one to stress a lot about school. Even though I keep excellent grades, I've always stressed often about all the homework I have to do, all the tests to study for, etc. etc. 
I was so scared for this year because not only is it junior year in high school - in my opinion one of the hardest and most important - I am also taking 10 credits at the college a half hour away so that I can get a couple years of college in before I graduate. Anyways, over the summer I was so scared I was going to be overwhelmed and had a knot in my stomach every time I thought about all that I was trying to take on. 
Then something crazy happened. School started, and I really do have quite a lot of homework. But I am not stressed. I really don't even know how that happened. I have just gotten into a routine where every day I look at my planner, I make sure I am prepared for the next day, maybe I do some homework due in the future, and I call it a night. 
I'm not sure what changed that I have been so much more chill about schoolwork this year. I work just as hard. But I don't let myself worry so much. 
The days will pass. I could spend all day stressing about a test, but whether I spend the day stressing or not, the next day will come. The test will pass. It will all work out, and in a week I will have forgotten about being worried in the first place. 

Things are never as bad as they seem. Life is full of tender mercies and happy surprises. Be happy. Don't worry so much, and you will be more satisfied with your life. YOU can overcome. And you can help others overcome. 

I thank God for bright futures.




2 comments:

Mom Karen said...

Ahhhh...just what I needed! Thank you, sweet girl. I always look forward to your perspectives and you are always SPOT ON! You have a very mature soul in your darling teen-age body. Today, I bless your name and pray that you are always up to the challenges of your studies. Much love...Sis A

Haley Barton said...

Aww, Thanks so much for being so cute! I love the comments you leave for me! And thank you for being the perfect example to me!

Love, Haley

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...