Thursday, January 19, 2012

You Know Enough



    The following is a story in his talk that wasn't shared in this video, but I really liked it... 



"I once visited a mission in southern Europe. I arrived on the day a new missionary was preparing to return home at his own insistence. He had his ticket to leave the next day.
We sat together in the mission president’s home. The missionary told me about his challenging childhood, of learning disorders, of moving from one family to another. He spoke sincerely of his inability to learn a new language and adapt to a new culture. Then he added, “Brother Andersen, I don’t even know if God loves me.” As he said those words, I felt a sure and forceful feeling come into my spirit: “He does know I love him. He knows it.”
I let him continue for a few more minutes, and then I said, “Elder, I’m sympathetic to much of what you’ve said, but I must correct you on one thing: you do know God loves you. You know He does.”
As I said those words to him, the same Spirit that had spoken to me spoke to him. He bowed his head and began to cry. He apologized. “Brother Andersen,” he said, “I do know God loves me; I do know it.” He didn’t know everything, but he knew enough. He knew God loved him. That priceless piece of spiritual knowledge was sufficient for his doubt to be replaced with faith. He found the strength to stay on his mission."
----------------

     God has given so much knowledge to His children in these latter-days.

     There was once a time that I felt like I knew very little of the gospel... I knew the important things, but I still felt like I had a lot to learn. Although this is still true, I've learned a very valuable lesson since then.
   
     I was once watching one of those "I'm a Mormon" videos... it was about a woman who had joined the church when she was an adult. At the end, she said that she was an avid blogger... I was curious, so I looked up her blog. In her posts, she sometimes shared new things that she had learned about the gospel. They were all things that I had learned when I was like... eight.

    Through reading her blog, I learned that even though I sometimes feel like I have limited knowledge, I know more than most people in the world know.

There is a reason why there are only a handful of missionary discussions required before baptism. The truth is... you don't need to have deep knowledge of the gospel to know that it is true.

     Learning the gospel takes a lifetime, and even then, I won't know everything there is to know. I can only understand things that make sense to me right now, on earth. Because of this, there are many answers to deep questions that God doesn't reveal to us. He does this simply because we would not be able to comprehend.

     Even though I have a ton to learn, I know that I know enough. I know enough to make it back to Him.
I know the commandments I must follow.
I know that I can repent when I make a mistake.
I know that God loves me.
I know that families are forever.
I know that we have a true prophet of God.
I know that I know enough. 


Even though I have a lot to learn... I'm grateful for the knowledge that I have now. I think that we should all remember how lucky we are to know what we know, even if we don't feel like we know a lot...





PS: You can read Elder Neil L. Andersen's entire talk here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...