Sunday, September 2, 2012

half full.


There once was an oyster
Whose story I tell,
Who found that some sand
Had got into his shell.

It was only a grain,
but it gave him great pain.
For oysters have feelings
Although they're so plain.

Now, did he berate
the harsh workings of fate
That had brought him
To such a deplorable state?

Did he curse at the government,
Cry for election,
And claim that the sea should
Have given him protection?

'No,' he said to himself
As he lay on a shell,
Since I cannot remove it,
I shall try to improve it.

Now the years have rolled around,
As the years always do,
And he came to his ultimate
Destiny ­ stew.

And the small grain of sand
That had bothered him so
Was a beautiful pearl
All richly aglow.

Now the tale has a moral,
for isn't it grand
What an oyster can do
With a morsel of sand?

What couldn't we do
If we'd only begin
With some of the things
That get under our skin.

~author unknown

Do you guys have any idea how good you have it? You could be the poorest person in America... but you would still live in America. 

Wherever you live... you are reading this, which means you have access to the internet. 


I'm sure you've used a telephone in your life sometime and you've probably had a good education.


That's not to say that hard things haven't happened to you. I'm willing to bet you've seen and experienced things that I never will in my lifetime. And vice versa. 




Happy people are people that make the best of everything. 

I've heard from family and friends that have travelled to far away - perhaps third-world - countries that even though so many people in so many places have so little... these people practically personify love, gratitude, kindness, and happiness. Though they have so little compared to some, they are the first to show how grateful they are for what they do have.



The truth is, our circumstances are only bad compared to something better. But others have been through much worse. I've read enough history to know you and I are lucky to be where we are, when we are, no matter how bad it seems to us compared to our fantasies. It's a sane thought and worth thinking. 

-Adam Kahn

Remember the video I posted just yesterday? (here)

About typical people?

And how less than 25% of people in the world have a bank account...


And many people have to work the whole day just to obtain a little water...



You have it good.


So start seeing it that way.


If you aren't already, become an optimist. 


See things how they are, or better than they are, but don't look at bumps in the road like they're the end of the world. 


See the glass half full. 


It's kinda fun taking optimism tests on the internet... 


Just google optimism tests and see what comes up. I like the one on stress.about.com.



I got only 4 optimistic answers out of 15... haha. 



I guess I have some work to do.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...