Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Make. A. Change.



     You know... people say a lot that how bad you want something determines how hard you will work for it...

And I think that that's true, but I think there is more to it than that...

It's hard to motivate yourself to make a change...

I mean, someone who really wants to lose weight... that doesn't necessarily make it easier for them to go bust their tail at the gym...

Does it?

What I mean is...

It isn't just how bad you want the end result.

That little voice that pops into your head in the morning - that little "do it tomorrow" voice - wins over all too often. And that voice plays a huge role in whether or not your goals are accomplished.

At some point, you just have to dig down deep and find the motivation to get yourself started.



At some point, you have to decide that you are willing to commit to a change.

And to do that... you have to have some serious will-power.


You know what? Start easy.

Want to hear a story?


So a couple years ago... I really wanted to do better about reading my scriptures. I just wasn't consistent, and it was hard for me, because half the time I didn't even understand what I was reading.

So... I prayed for a desire.

Because I wanted to say that I was doing good about reading my scriptures, but I didn't really have the drive to actually pick them up and get started. I always thought, "I'll do it tomorrow".

Ha - and maybe even believed that sometimes.

Anyways... one day, I decided to switch from where I was at in the Book of Mormon to the Doctrine and Covenants.

And I read a section.

And I understood it.

The thing is... the Book of Mormon is easier to understand than the Bible because it was written more recently...

Well... the Doctrine and Covenants is way easier to understand than the Book of Mormon... because it was written even more recently.

The last section was written in 1918.

We read and study books in English class that are older than that.

So... my point is this:

I discovered that the Doctrine and Covenants is really easy to understand and full of amazing scriptures. Like, every other verse could be highlighted.
The Doctrine and Covenants made me love reading my scriptures.

So now I read in all different parts of the scriptures.


And I realized that it doesn't matter if you fully understand what is going on in every verse.


And don't expect to find deep, incredible insight on every chapter. 


Sometimes you just have to try and get the big picture... what that chapter or group of chapters is trying to teach you.


Pray for understanding. 


And sometimes... just accept that you don't understand it. Maybe you will later.


From one little step... reading an easy-to-understand section of the Doctrine and Covenants....


I learned to love the scriptures.


And now... instead of praying for a desire to read... I pray for a desire to study
(Because sometimes I still get a little lazy with that.)


But I have upped the ante a little bit. 


And I am proud to say that at least I read daily, and the whole taking-my-time-to-gain-insight thing will become more consistent as I work on it. 



This works with anything requiring motivation. 


Commit to at least taking a step - maybe a small step - but a step.


And go from there. 




Just dig deep, find an inkling of will-power...


And just make it happen. 







P.S. It gets annoying to keep typing Doctrine and Covenants over and over again... It's just such a long name... and "Doctrine" is a tedious word to type!

P.P.S. I had to look up how to spell "ante"... I suppose that isn't something that I write out very often... :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...