Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Big Picture... Because Hard Work DOES Pay Off!

Me right now. Sporting my new Coldplay shirt and SOOO happy
because I just finished my last test of the year.

I despise tests.

Well actually, I despise studying.

Which sort of comes with tests...

So I despise tests. By the transitive property.


Now. Is studying something that pays off?

Well, it does if you are wanting to get a good grade.

Which I do want good grades. As a matter of fact, I want excellent grades. I guess that's my motivation to study.

If I want something bad enough, I will work hard until I get it.


I know that I've shared this scripture before in this post, but I want to share it again.

Because it's my very favorite.

D&C 25:10 - And verily I say unto thee that thou shalt lay aside the things of this world, and seek for the things of a better.


You know... our spirits have existed for eons. And even before that, you existed as an intelligence.


You have always existed. 


And you will continue to exist... forever.


And ever. (If that adds emphasis)


So... when looking at millions and billions and trillions and jabrillion-gajillions of years... 


The years that you spend on earth... which are very few...


Seem like nothing.


And in a couple thousand years... probably less... your time on earth will seem like it passed in the blink of an eye.


And a fast blink at that.


So why would you throw eternity away... for something that will pass in the blink of an eye?


It drives me crazy all the time when I see that people don't have the right perspective on life, or that they aren't fully living the Gospel.


You guys... the Gospel is a way of life. It isn't something that you turn on and off. 


It isn't something that you live only on Sundays or in Seminary. 


Your scriptures don't disappear when church ends.


Don't teach a bunch of Primary kids that they should be praying daily... when you aren't. (Well... still teach them that, but you know what I mean, right?)


Fully live the Gospel every day.

Pray several times a day.


Read your scriptures. Study them. (and know the difference between reading and studying)


I mean, I read my scriptures every day, but would probably be lying if I said that I fully devoted my time to studying them daily. I mean, I do sometimes, but not always.


But I should be. I suppose I should work on that a little bit. 




Please please PLEASE do not give up everything in your future for little things now. 


Because even though we live in a beautiful world... there is a better one out there. 




So ask yourself... do I want that world enough to work for it?


I hope you answered yes, and I hope that you will always remember the potential that you have.

Remember what you can become.

Because temporal things don't last... so devote your time to the things that will last.


And always strive to be better.




2 comments:

Amy said...

Haley- you are fantastic! i love this post. How can you only be in high school?? Thanks for the uplift!

Haley Barton said...

AmY hAnSeN!! Hello!! I haven't talked to you in like....... I don't know. A while.
You should beg to come back to YWs. But this time in Laurels.

I hear that they are taking requests? :)

Thank you for commenting!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...