Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Blessed are the Pure in Heart


     Just a quick post because I wanted to share a story... it is a story that I read in this book today.... and it's awesome.
     Just so that you know before you read, this was experienced and later shared by Jon M. Huntsman Sr.

Enjoy.
----------

     I learned this important lesson during a time I had the privilege of serving as the stake president (the ecclesiastical leader) for Howard W. Hunter, then the prophet and President of the Church. He was a dear and trusted friend. On one occasion, I felt the Spirit move me to go by his home to see how he was doing. When I knocked on the door, his wife said, "President Huntsman, come on in. We knew you would come by. President Hunter told me a few minutes ago, 'President Huntsman will come by our home this evening to see how I'm feeling.'"
     When I went in, he was leaning back in his recliner, looking pale and quite ill. When I asked him what I could do to help, he said "I would like a priesthood blessing. Would you be kind enough to give me one?" I said I would be honored and humbled to do so and asked if he wouldn't mind explaining the nature of his illness.
     He responded, "Today I had an ill thought toward another man, and it's made me physically and emotionally sick all day. Every bone in my body aches. My heart burns because I had a negative thought in my heart toward another person. Would you bless me that any harsh thoughts toward any man or woman would dissipate immediately and be eradicated from body and heart, mind and soul?"
     So I placed my hands on his head and, as soon as I did so, I thought of Matthew 5:8: "Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God." I had just put my hands on the head of a man who was so pure in heart that it made him physically ill if he had negative feelings toward anyone. That was one of my greatest experiences, to learn from such a pure man the impact of carrying ill thoughts toward another.

----------
     That is an awesome story that stood out to me, because it is crazy to think that something like this could happen. Howard W. Hunter had a very, very pure heart. (Along with all of our other prophets)...


Psalms 24
3 - Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord? or who shall stand in his holy place?
4 - He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.
----------
I don't really know how to end this post, because I just wanted to share that story... so... bye.




Did one of my posts leave a lasting impression on you? I'd love to hear about it! Comment below! 
 Want to read about the layout of my blog? Click here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...