Sunday, December 9, 2012

be as the publican.

True merit, like a river, the deeper it is, the less noise it makes. 
- Edward Frederick Lindley Wood 1st Earl Of Halifax (<--- I had to copy and paste that... quite the name!)


Alright. I read some brilliant scriptures this morning that are inspiring this post. Let's start with those.

Luke 18
10 - Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11 - The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 - I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 - And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 - I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.




I love these verses.

Because when asked what I've learned from my sins,
Well, yes I've learned to repent. I've learned to do things differently next time.
But what I've learned the most is to be humble.

I make mistakes.
I am not always obedient.
I rely on the Atonement so much.


And I wonder... what would I be without God? 



I would be nothing.


Yes - I make mistakes.
And I am grateful for sin. I am grateful for all the knowledge that I don't have. I am grateful for people who have less than I do and are more grateful than me and people who work harder than me.

Because all these are constant reminders that I need to be humble.



I am grateful for a merciful God who loves me regardless of my flaws.

And I am grateful for my flaws for making me a better person who tries to live with a better perspective.







P.S. How is my blog showing up on your computer? I am having a hard time deciding what width to make it... I have a widescreen computer and I don't know if it looks too wide on your computer?
And I kinda dig the three-column layout, but I changed it, thinking it was maybe kinda throwing things off...
Ugh. I don't know. I'm an amateur with these things.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...